The Hughes Law Firm

We have office locations in Arvada, Broomfield, Colorado Springs, Ft. Collins, Lakewood and Denver

What to Consider When Aging Parents Live Far Away

  • On behalf of: The Hughes Law Firm, P.C.
  • Published: September 28, 2017

The natural beauty of Colorado is undeniable and draws people from all parts of the country. But some children grow up and develop lives outside of the state, leaving their aging parents behind. When the parent of an adult child gets older, it may be difficult for the child to make continual trips to Colorado for welfare checks and doctors appointments.

Further, aging parents may not tell their adult children about their difficulties, especially if they involve money or significant health issues. They may feel particularly insecure about sharing these issues after being caregivers for decades, and they may have trouble accepting the fact that they now need help.

Because of this, adult children can follow a number of different paths. Many will contemplate moving back to Colorado to be closer to their elderly parents. This may be a preferred avenue because the parents can maintain their independence and benefit from having caregivers in close proximity.

However, this option may not be available for some adult children. In these situations, having other family members (such as an elderly parent’s siblings) or family friends close by may be a better option.

Before contemplating a move, however, adult children should have candid conversations with their parents about their well-being. They should also talk about important estate planning elements, including a healthcare directive, a will and perhaps a trust.

If you have questions about how these documents work, an experienced estate planning attorney can advise you.

The preceding is not legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only.

The Hughes Law Firm

We strive to give our clients the best of all possible worlds:
the experience of the past, the best of today and continued
solutions into the future. Schedule A Free Consultation